[G5] Is this list still functional? imac G5 AWESOME

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Wed Nov 3 21:01:33 PST 2004

At 21:46 -0500 3/11/04, Snow White wrote:
>I got my new G5 imac a couple weeks ago.  Sold
>my G4 Cube on ebay for about $950 and rolled it
>into this imac.  What an upgrade for $550.  1.8
>GHZ CPU - 64 bit CPU, Superdrive, 17" screen
>....    My MacAlly 2 button/scroll wheel mouse
>works perfectly - no 3rd party mouse stuff.
>
>The only bones I have about this thing is the
>RAM included at purchase (256) is way too little
>- like starving a lion.  I will purchase the 2 x
>1 gig 3200/400 RAM chips after Xmas.  Hate to
>wait but maybe the price will drop a bit with
>the increased demand and production that
>follows.  I checked the RAM usage and my system
>is using it all with a < 2 gig VirtualDisk on
>the HD.  Thats a big swap disk.
>
>The fans make a bit of noise - way more than the
>totally silent Cube (I was spoiled), but with
>the computer only 18" from your face I can
>certainly understand why I hear them.
>Acceptable to me.
>
>The speakers are good, but again, I had Harman
>Kardon USB speakers with the Cube - maybe a nice
>USB isub Soundstick (H&K again) - always wanted
>an excuse to get this junk.
>
>Well, the price of my imac was $1499 but the RAM
>is $430 and the SoundSticks are about $110
>shipped on ebay, so total costs will be about
>$2000.00 easily.  The Cube would never reach
>this level and I could have easily tossed a
>grand or so at it to perk-up as best it could.
>
>Overall, I think this was an excellent purchase
>and I dare you to show me a Windows box that
>fetches anything more than 'next to nothin'
>after 5 years of good use.  One of the main
>ingredients to this satisfaction with my
>purchase is the resale value of my previous
>system.  I sold a G4 Sawtooth 400 MHZ last year
>for $500 and my 450 MHZ Cube for $950 last week
>- THIS IS FREAKIN AWESOME RETURNS that only
>Apple styling and software can produce.  Now I
>must admit that both of these systems had maxed
>RAM and upgraded HDs that help-ed sell them but
>
>I am finding the new keyboard a little sensitive
>for my use.  I tend to stomp the keys fully with
>my 5 or 6 digit typing and this board is set up
>perfectly for a touch typist.  I keep getting
>double keys, like ew or as or 0o as I go for
>letters.  Got to get used to this a bit more.
>
>Anyways that's my review to date.
>
>jj

Just watch the 1.6GHz 17" though.

I've had two clients so far return a quantity of
them (10+ each) as DoA because the drives make so
much noise (not the fans).

Apparently Apple is working on the problem and a
firmware patch is coming (don't know when) but
its a bit poor for a machine sold was "whisper
quiet".

I gather the 1.8GHz 17's and the 20's don't have this problem.
Regards,

Mark (}-:

Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

Only in a police state is the job of a policeman easy.
                                        --Orson Welles