[G5] My New G-5

Will Thompson wtp at xmission.com
Sun Sep 19 17:14:22 PDT 2004

I received my dual 2.5 GHz last week. What a pleasure it is using it!
I had my former computer, a G-4 dual 1.0 GHz, completely
backed up by cloning its internal disk to an external, fire wire
drive (using Carbon Copy Cloner).

I have been re-installing some of the goodies on the new machine that
require such action.

Time wise, a unit of SETI that took nearly 12 hours to process on
the G-4 now merely  takes about 3 3/4 hours to process - - -
amazing speed for the computations!

So far, there have only been very minor glitches going from the
G-4 to the G-5. I have installed a new Epson CX6400 all in one
printer. Even with the posted updates to the Epson site, I cannot
get their Epson Smart  Panel  to work  properly.  I cannot connect
with Epson's Support Site for help; I will attempt to do so
tomorrow, Monday. This is the first real problem that I have encountered.
The CX6400 printer works; however, the convenience of the Smart
Panel function is missing.

I kept my 23" Cinema Display from the G-4 since it is perfect - -
no stuck pixels at all!

I also used Clubmac for the order and so was able to get their
additional 1 GB of Memory increase for only the labor charge for
installation.  I do note that there is a caution on getting new memory
to make doubly sure that you get the proper memory modules when
adding memory.  I had 1.5GB in the G-4; so, I believe that the
1.5GB will suffice in the G-5.  Time will tell!

This is a magnificent machine that literally blows me out of the water.
Since I began my computer career working as Senior Systems Programmer
on the Univac I and then the Univac II, I am truly amazed by desktop
computers in general and the 2.5 DUAL G-5 in particular. The Univacs
were so large that you could walk inside of the mainframe allowing for
maintenance on the Vacuum tube arrays, etc. Now, we don't even bat an
eye at the desk top power and efficiency. Wow!!!  (Univac I had a 12,000
alpha-numeric character  memory storage; the Univac II doubled that.)

I love the new Apple keyboard that arrived with the G-5. It has a great
'feel' to it.  The Apple mouse, however, is still the old clunker. I do have
a wireless mouse and keyboard that I got for the G-4 a couple of
months ago; however, I prefer to use the Apple components for the
time being.

Good luck to all who get a G-5. If you go for the 2.5 Dual, you are in
for an exciting and pleasurable experience!!!

W. Thompson