[G5] OT -- funny thing happened to my wife today

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Mon Aug 8 19:07:44 PDT 2005

Background:
She was an IT professional before retiring, using mostly Windows NT
or UNIX-based machines, but always with somebody else as the
sysadmin.  At home, I had given her an older Win NT box to use, and
when the power supply gave out  and I offered to get her a new PC,
she asked to use the Cube that I had stored down in the basement (on
semi-permanent loan from one of my old projects and really not my
property) rather than spend money on a new machine.  I was delighted,
as it is easier for me to administer a Mac than any PC ever made.
So, she learned Mac OS X on the Cube, and she became pretty
proficient with it.  As of late the Cube kept freezing up, so I
bought her an iMac G5 for her birthday, and the Cube is packed up and
back in the basement storage.  (Aside--the Cube may have been OK,
after all; 50-50 chance that it was a bad mouse that was doing the
freezing up!?!?)

The true story:
So, today, during a storm, the electricity flickered, and she does
not have an UPS (she hates to clutter up her office), and her iMac
turned off.  She came to me (I'm now her sysadmin) and told me that
the iMac probably went POOF! with the flickering, and it was a good
thing that we saved the box that it came in so that we could return
it for service.  I asked her to check all the plugs and to make sure
that the reset/breaker in the surge protector had not popped out.
After she reported that all was OK, I went in to take a look, and I
just restarted the iMac with no trouble.  She watched in awe and
asked, "How did you do that?"  So, I showed her the raised dimple
on/off button in the back.  "Oh, my gosh," she reddened, "I thought
it was just like the Cube where you hold your finger over the pulsing
light to turn it on."  [ Honest-Abe--I had shown this to her when I
first surprised her with the iMac. ]

That's my story, and I am sticking to it!

--Steve