[G5] slow dual core G5

Daniel Rubinstein shardaeek at fmail.co.uk
Tue Dec 6 06:30:03 PST 2005

Good morning,
I am new to the list, and an experienced mac user of many years.

I have a dual core 2.3 running OS 10.4.3. The machine appears to work
very slowly indeed. Spotlight takes several minutes to search for an
item, mail is slower on this machine than on my partners G3 ibook.
An apple care person recommended deleting the cache folder and
trashing the prefs. for spotlight, but this did not help to speed it up.
My question is: 1. are there any benchmark tests available to test
the computer? I want to have some hard evidence to demonstrate speed
issues 2. Is there a recommended optimizing tool? I did the 'repair
permissions' stuff, but that did not seem to help.

Thank you list,

Daniel