[G5] Partitioning

Kevin Stevens groups at pursued-with.net
Fri Feb 18 14:13:32 PST 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Ken Schneider wrote:

> My G5 is about to arrive!  I ordered it with a 250GB drive.  I will
> probably pick up another SATA drive soon for the second internal drive.

I did exactly that.  FWIW, I was going to run a mirrored RAID environment;
I was very disappointed in the RAID capability built into Panther.
Basically you can only create a single large volume on the mirrored
devices - my experience had led me to expect the mirroring to take place
at a block level, that would be volume-independent.  I hope they improve
this in Tiger, but haven't seen anything about it.

>   Does anyone partition their hard drive any more?  I used to with OS 9.
>   I was wondering, since I have such a large drive, if I should
> partition it.  I didn't think OS X really needed or liked partitioning.

Just "having a large drive" isn't really a good reason to partition.  If
you want or need partitions, you should have your reasons clearly in mind.
Saying OS X "likes" or "needs" partitioning is not very constructive - it
simply supports it.  I do use multiple partitions, one for the OS, one for
my programs, one for data, and one UFS partition for my USENET feed.  I
was getting extremely poor performance from my news server software
(leafnode) under HFS+/RAID - it improved by a factor of 9 under
UFS/non-RAID (no idea which variable was the cause, but the HFS+
partitions didn't show much performance difference RAID/non-RAID).

KeS