[G5] Partitioning

Kevin Stevens groups at pursued-with.net
Sat Feb 19 13:37:25 PST 2005

On Feb 19, 2005, at 10:12, Ken Schneider wrote:
> That sounds like the same partitioning scheme I used with OS 9.  I
> thought
> that OS X prefers to have all applications in the Applications folder
> on
> the boot volume.  That's why I was considering NOT partitioning either
> of
> my 250GB drives.

I leave the entire OS file structure alone on the boot volume,
including Applications - the thinking is "Apple controls that stuff".
I install my own user applications on a separate partition, and drop a
shortcut called "Programs" into the Applications folder for
convenience.

One thing I *do* do is have my Users directories moved to my Data
partition, and soft-linked (not aliased) across.  I've done this since
10.0 with no problems, even Disk First Aid follows the link properly.

My rationale for partitioning is to separate my precious user data from
any volume-level catastrophe and isolate it for ease of backup.  I want
to keep the system space as "standard" as possible to facilitate
re-installs and upgrades.  And I keep my applications and games to
themselves as the lowest priority data, since they are readily
reinstalled.

Just my approach.

KeS

PS - WRT SoftRaid, I've looked at it before, but am always chary about
low-level third-party drivers mixed with the OS - it's all too often
that something they rely on changes without advance notice.  I decided
to see what happens with Tiger and re-evaluate then.  Thanks for the
link, though.