[G5] Drives????

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Wed Jul 27 08:32:23 PDT 2005

For what it is worth:

I have two 120 GB ATA/IDE HDs in my G4
Quicksilver.  One is a Seagate Barracuda, and it
is running at 118.4ºF at the moment, according to
a freeware Utility called "Temperature Monitor."
The boot drive is a 120 GB Samsung, and it is
running at 102.2ºF at the moment, though
typically it runs below 100ºF  (sustained disk
activity makes them run hotter).  The Samsung
boot drive is actually UNDER the Seagate, so the
Seagate gets more of the benefit of cooling from
the fan which is just above and perpendicular to
it.  Well . . . the Samsung just dropped down to
98.6ºF , and the Seagate to 116.6ºF.

I joined this list because I had just bought my
wife an iMac G5, and I wanted to keep up with G5
and iMac issues.  I have not installed
Temperature Monitor in the iMac yet, but I noted
that it came with a 160 GB SATA Western Digital
drive.  I keep an 80 GB Samsung in an external
Firewire enclosure connected to the iMac, and I
have ChronoSync set up to back up all her user
folders that change (e.g. mail, pictures, music)
early each morning to the external drive (which
is also bootable with the latest system stuff on
it).

I used to like Maxtors, until I fried three in a
row on one of our Cubes many years ago.
Similarly, an IBM Deathstar fried itself. So, for
a while, I would use only the Seagate Barracudas.
That is until the Samsungs came out.  Now, those
are all that I order (from newegg.com, by the
way).

--Steve (Mac user since 1988)

P.S., the Seagate is now back up to 118.4ºF, and
the Samsung is at 102.2ºF.  No action that I know
of (unless Spotlight indexing) on the Seagate, so
maybe the Samsung underneath it is heating it up
a bit.