[G5] iMac G5 or eMac G4 - buying advice

david citizen.gkar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 10:17:40 PDT 2005

On Jun 8, 2005, at 1:03 PM, Dinu Roman wrote:

> i am considering buying a Mac and  i intend to spend around 1500.-,
> not more than 1700.-  i noticed that the eMac G4 specs are the same
> as the 12" PowerBook (my wife has one, and is very pleased with its
> performance, i also use it and i find it very good).  the new eMacs
> also have the upped graphics card.
>
> the other option is an iMac G5, which seems to be a much better
> machine.  nevertheless i am worried that the faster G5 will easily
> overheat in that small enclosure, and i heard all kinds of horror
> stories about the previous version iMac G5s and their overheating
> habits and bad capacitors ....
>
> i want a system for regular use, and occasional moderate graphics-
> intensive work (and some games here and there).  the eMac specs are
> acceptable (toward the lower end though...) and the iMac sounds
> good....

Go for the iMac. The display is beautiful and much easier on the eyes
than the eMac. It also won't kill your back as you move it into the
house nor will it take over your desk. Sure, the iBook has acceptable
speed but trust me, having the extra speed is wonderful. Yes, there
have been reports of bad capacitors and other problems but don't
forget that Forums are where people go to get problems solved so you
are unlikely to see many reports of flawless use.

david

Now, I go to spread happiness to the rest of the station. It is a
terrible responsibility but I have learned to live with it. ~~ Londo

david
citizen.gkar at gmail.com