[G5] iMac G5 or eMac G4 - buying advice

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Jun 8 18:59:39 PDT 2005

At 4:51 PM -0400 6/8/05, T.L. Miller wrote:
On 6/8/05, at 1:38 PM, Kunga, <Kunga at FutureMedia.org> said:
>On Jun 8, 2005, at 11:33 AM, T.L. Miller wrote:
>
>>>  I love my 20 incher. After 6 months, I had to lint removed from inside
>>>  (sits on a desk in a spare bedroom, closed windows) that caused the
>>>  fans
>>>  to run at high speed.  I hope that doesn't happen when it's out of
>  >> warranty.
>
>>You can do that yourself with a can of compressed air.
>
>Not according to the technician.

The memory and HD's are customer replaceable parts on the iMac G5,
aren't they?  If so, you can blow the system out yourself.  As long
as you don't have to worry about voiding your warranty you can do it
yourself (which means you definitely can once it's out of warranty.

You've got to remember that computer technicians are like car
mechanics, they'll do their best to separate you from your money,
unless you find a really good one.

Of course I've been known to take a soldering iron to my own Mac's,
and bought a brand new Oscilloscope to troubleshoot the core memory
stack in another :^)  So I'm not exactly worried about voiding the
warranty on a computer by working on it.

		Zane