[G5] Buying RAM

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 17:34:15 PDT 2005

On Jun 12, 2005, at 7:18 AM, Allan Hise wrote:

> I have a new Power Mac G5 with 1 GB RAM and I am seeing an incredibly
> large number of pageins, so it looks like I need more RAM.

No, no, no, no. :-) Pageins are just normal behavior for an OS that
uses demand paging. In simple terms operating systems that use
virtual memory only load parts of a program and data into memory as
they are needed. If you don't use some part of an application or data
file it never gets loaded. (Although the OS may do anticipatory

What you need to look for are excessive pageouts, which indicate that
the operating system is having to move data from memory back to disk
to make room for new data.

"Do I Need More Memory?" is a free and easy to use program that helps
you decide if you need more memory.

http://www.hillmanminx.net/dinmm/

Phil