[G5] Stuffit Expander

Geoffrey Loeffler geoffrey at alaska.net
Sun Jun 26 01:35:02 PDT 2005

On Jun 23, 2005, at 9:57 , Gary Kimes wrote:

> Wondering.. I had a decompression program before upgrading to this
> new G5 desktop.. I forget the name but I regularly download
> programs that do not open and get asked for what I want to open
> them with.  What is the best all around app for this? thanks -Gary

> http://www.allume.com/mac/index.html

Allume Software at the above URL is where stuffit comes from, the
expander is free, the compression part is not. It's a bit of a roll
and loop to get the free version download as they are trying to sell
the whole package.  So as you  look around the site all roads seem to
lead to buying it.
When you download the free expander it will also include a 30 day
free trial of the StuffIt compression function. After 30 days only
the Stuffit expander portion will work. However that is a vital
portion to  opening downloads and what I believe you were asking about

The version that I have is 9.0.1 was the highest listed under X and
they only posted as it working on 10.2 being the highest available. I
downloaded it about 20 days ago and works fine on 10.4

Its actually a good deal as it's free and has been so for 15 years or
more, so we have gotten spoiled a bit by no cost for the expander.
The compression part, which does have a few good points I would buy
it if the price were lower then $79.00 is pretty high. If the dropped
it to $40 for both they might get my $$. However the could just say
no more freebies on the expander and charge the 80 bucks. Of course
it would probably PO most users and another company step in. So we
should enjoy the last days of the wild west of the internet. Soon it
will be like your TV, commercials all night long.
Hope it helps
Geoff
"Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible
government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to
the people. To destroy this invisible government, to befoul the
unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the
first task of the statesmanship of the day." Theodore Roosevelt,
April 19, 1906