[G5] Lack of Posts

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Wed Jan 4 14:52:22 PST 2006

On Jan 4, 2006, at 8:51 AM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> Well, my basic thought on the subject isn't very constructive, and
> that is that Memory Management on Mac OS X *SUCKS*!

Agreed on both counts. I've seen articles talking about how poorly OS
X handles memory and other fundamental system management tasks. For
instance, if I recall correctly, anandtech.com compared OS X and
Linux on the same Mac and found Linux to be significantly faster.
While the tests had their problems, I think they clearly showed that
the OS X folks have some work to do.

> Having gotten that out of my system, one thing that I've noticed is
> that Safari basically doesn't release memory, it just keeps
> steadily increasing the amount of RAM that it uses, the longer it's
> running. The only way to totally reclaim that memory is to quit out
> of Safari.

Yup, Safari is a pig, to the point that I have stopped using it in
favor of Firefox and maybe Opera. Helping me make the switch was the
fact that Safari doesn't seen to handle AJAX enabled sites at all -
at least the one that I visit daily.

Phil