[G5] more --" Fire-i" firewire digital camera (USD$99) almost as good as iSight

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Wed May 2 15:43:52 PDT 2007

  Also, the camera has no microphone, unlike iSight.

--Steve

Folks,

I forget which of these lists recently hosted a discussion about
disappointment with Apple for abandoning iSight camera production for
those who do not have new computers with iSight built-in.  I now have
a MacBook and an Intel Core Duo iMac with built-in iSight, but my
wife has a G5 iMac, and has no video for using either iChat or Skype
to visit with far-flung relatives.  I just received delivery of a
Unibrain "Fire-i" Firewire Digital Camera from L.A. Computer Company
(http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi-bin/rpcart/index.cgi?command=dispitem&type=sku&sku=25036).
US$99 + US$8.70 S&H.  (OOPS!  One more thing: the regular price is
USD$119.  I forgot that I got a $20 discount through the DealMac
website which I visit almost daily -- the DealMac site gives the
discount code "firedc" that might still work).

It was a snap to install (literally: just snap in the included FW
cable to the camera and to a handy FW receptacle, in my case, an open
one on an external drive enclosure).  That's all!  It was instantly
recognized (and iChat was automatically opened) by both iChat and
Skype.  The lens ring has a focusing capability that is not mentioned
in the packaging, and the image was initially fuzzy and out of focus,
but a little "nudging" counterclockwise on the ring immediately cured
that.  The video, at least what one sees on Skype and iChat, is just
about as good as iSight, except that, unlike iSight, there is no
microphone, so you need to add your own (my wife uses a USB headset
with earphones and microphone, anyway).

These sites do not support images, but if you look at the above web
site, you can visualize that if you collapse the legs of the included
miniature tripod so that they all lie in a plane, and adjust the
camera's position, you can stick it on the top of the monitor with
Velcro fastener tape, adhering to the black support on the tripod and
to the top of the monitor.  Then, there is a little lever that allows
you to unlock the mount in order to tweak the aiming of the camera
and then re-lock it.  All-in-all, this took about five minutes.

Highly recommended.

--Steve