[G5] Rail screws

Robert Pearson rrpearson at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 11 08:50:11 PST 2008

I just got my new (to me, of course) Power Mac G5 2.3 dual. Since I
knew my old g4 was getting flakey (er) I took the precaution of
ordering a SATA drive when the hard drives started failing in it,
knowing that I might have to move up.

problem is, the new mac naturally came without mount screws for the
drive (just four holes where they should be. I got a good deal on the
machine, so I'm not complaining, but it is a problem.

The actual screws cost five bucks per screw at Welovemacs! Ahhhh!
Needless to say, I, wanting immediate gratification, starting nosing
around to see what other people had done in my sitch. I ran across
mention of rubber washers and screws from Home depot. Well, says I, I
have screws that fit in the side slots. I also have some rubber
sheeting I use to keep things from sliding around. What if I cut a
small, doubled square of it, force the screw through it, and instant
washer! I did this, and got a nice, tight, (but not too tight) that
drive ain't vibrating none nohow fit.

Then I started second guessing. So now I ask, you who probably think
I'm insane by now: is it worth twenty bucks plus shipping to get the
real deal?