[G5] G5 June 2004 dual 2.0 Processor problem

Andrew J. Yon III ayon3rd at mac.com
Mon Sep 22 09:54:38 PDT 2008

I know this is probably old news to some of you , but it is driving me
nuts trying to figure it out. Other than replacing one piece at a tim,
which will be too expensive, does anyone know what is most likely the
problem ?

Background information :

  •  I have run the Apple Service Diagnostics Disk for this machine -
All tests pass Green.
  •  I have run the Apple Hardware Test Disk for this machine - All
tests pass Green.
  •  I have run the TechTools Pro 4.6.1 Disk for this machine - All
tests pass Green.
  •  I have replaced the RAM.
  •  I have replaced the Hard Drive.
  •  I have reinstalled the operating system (originally Tiger), then
tried and now is 10.5.5.

and yet, at random ( times vary, sometimes minutes, hours, and even
days), it will freeze the cursor and then a minute or two later, the
fans all will start ramping up until they are running full blast.

It is still set up in stock configuration, as it came from the
factory, other than the operating system and the RAM.

As it stands now :

G5 june 2004 DP 2.0
3.5 GB RAM
two 160 GB hard drives (SATA)
no pci cards
5200 video card 64 MB

Any ideas how I can determine what the problem is other than parts
swapping ?

This machine runs perfect while it is running until it freezes.

Andy3