[G5] G5 June 2004 dual 2.0 Processor problem

Andrew J. Yon III ayon3rd at mac.com
Thu Sep 25 17:54:25 PDT 2008

> On Sep 24, 2008, at 11:32 PM, Eric Volker wrote:
>
> Ryan, sorry for the late reply. I did some testing with my dual 1.8
> G5 and had some interesting results. Firstly, my CPU temps after
> some video encoding were much higher than yours, reaching 72 C on
> CPU A. However, my memory controller heatsink never broke 60 C, so
> I'm highly inclined to think that that's where your problem lies.
> Aside from dust and poor circulation in the case, the only other
> thing I can think of is that the heatsink is mounted improperly or
> has too much or too little thermal paste on it. Unfortunately, I
> don't know exactly where that heatsink is, so I can't guide you on
> that issue. I tried googling up a location, and instead got
> instructions on how to partially disassemble a G5. Here's that link:
>
> http://www.hatsuon.net/macstuff/G5_TAKE_APART/Disassemble_G5_DP_2Ghz.html
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't specifically address the location of the
> memory controller. Or at least I couldn't find it. Good luck!
>
> Eric
>

> And, duh, sorry for calling you Ryan. I've been sending out way too
> many emails lately. Please forgive my slip up.
>
> Eric

Eric,

First off no offense was taken. Don't worry, I have been informed by
Doctor friends of mine , that as we age , that happenings like that
will increase more and more as we age.  : )     I, now, feel blessed
if I can remember my own name, LOL.

Thank you for the external link to that site. I had not run across
that site before. He does mention similar crashes, but due to the
keywords, "take apart", I had not seen that page. I have the Apple
Service Source Manuals and had not searched for any manuals due to
that.  After having seen his photos of the power supply, even tho mine
has always lived in a clean lab environment and is immaculately clean,
I am resolved to taking this one apart for a better look see. I will
update you on what I find.

Yes, I had noticed the temperature reading on the  memory controller
and had installed two standard pc type fans to the front of the case
in the lower quadrant of the front panel that use an external power
source. I noted that all fan RPMS ran at 300 rpms constant, with those
two running full time. However the G5 still crashed at random anyway,
whether idle or under critical load.

I also tried the fans on the rear of the G5, outside, located over the
top of the existing fans. The result was a longer duration between the
crashes, but still crashing at random.

I, too, am wanting to know where that heatsink is located.

Andy3