[G5] G5 Boot Problem

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Thu Oct 1 12:22:19 PDT 2009

Come to think of it, a few months back when my wife tried to update her
G5 20" iMac with the latest--10.5.7 at the time, as I recall--she got a
hung machine, and nothing worked, and she had to try to re-install the
OS from a 10.5 install disk. And, that did not work.  She got as far as
what looked to be the final screen, and it just hung.  We tried it over
and over, and then borrowed a 10.5 install disk from our son, thinking
that perhaps there might have been something wrong with our disk.  But,
no, that did not work either.  So, we took it to the Genius bar, and
they could not get it to load the system completely.  So, very kindly,
they installed a complete 10.5.7 image from a HD that they had on hand.
They thought it might be persnickety memory, even though we had been
using it for years.  I have since installed additional and new memory.
But, we have not tried to update further.  The G5 iMac at least works OK
now.

BTW, that G5 is our "spare" machine that, for the most part, sits on our
sun porch and is used by visiting grand kids, or is a standby for Skype
calls from abroad.  Each of us has an Intel iMac upstairs that serves as
our everyday Mac.

--Steve (Mac user since 1988)