[G5] RAM problem,question?

the Claytons ramar.clayton at verizon.net
Wed Oct 14 11:30:14 PDT 2009

(I have also posted these questions in the Apple forums in hopes of
solution)

I have a problem with new-to-me G5 dual 2.0. After having a couple
seemingly random kernel panics two days I did some reading and
thought that I might be having a RAM problem. At that point system
profiler was showing that I had only 1.5 gigs when I was sure that it
had been showing me 2 gigs earlier - and the slot-thing was showing
two empty slots on the upper of the two banks. So I ordered another
gig of RAM.

But now the system profiler is showing a full 2 gigs with all 8 slots
filled! I took a peek inside and indeed all 8 slots are filled with
256 MB chips. What gives, any ideas?

And, of course, the new RAM just arrived.

Ray