Slow Western Digital disk drive

nyip12 at netscape.net nyip12 at netscape.net
Sun Dec 15 22:55:39 PST 2002

Hi all,

I have an iMac 400 Mhz (summer 2000?) with 64+512 MB memory. I recently replaced the original 10 GB disk with a 100 GB 7200 rpm Western Digital drive.

The new disk is noticeably slower than the old one (which is a Quantum drive presumably running at 5400 rpm).

I ran FWB DriveTest on it and it shows an average of 0.3 MB/sec.

I emailed WD tech. support and they suggested changing the disk jumpers from cable select to single drive. I did and FWB drive test shows the disk access speed improving (?) to about 0.5 MB/sec.

Surely it's got to be faster than this?

More info re: disk cable. The new drive comes with its own 80 pin cable. But inside the iMac, the disk cable goes from the motherboard to the CD-ROM drive and then to the disk drive. The part that goes from the motherboard to the CD-ROM drive is wider than the part that goes from the CD-ROM to the disk drive (and looks like a 40 pin cable). This means that I can't use the cable that comes with the new drive.

Any ideas to get faster disk access than 0.5 MB/sec.?

TIA.
Tony
nyip12 at netscape.net