[HM] Re: Digital camera...

Tom Burton tomb at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 28 12:00:00 PST 2002

Your G3 also includes 1 or 2 serial ports (for external modem and
probably printer. Most digital cameras use USB. Belkin (and probably
lots of others) make a Serial to USB adapter. (I use it with my OLD
Kodak digital camera which has only a serial port output and my G4
which does not have serial input).

Tom

>Carl, you bring up some excellent points about buying a simple camera to
>start with. I didn't know about the different memory formats, either!
>
>I still have a beige G3 with SCSI interface. What would I need to upload my
>pictures?  (I'm holding out hope that I can buy a Mac after Christmas, but
>just to safe...)
>
>jane
>
>>  From: Carl Smedberg <cws at heathrowcable.net>
>>  Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:39:38 -0500
>>  To: "Home Macintosh Users List" <HomeMac at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>>  Subject: [HM] Re: Digital camera...
>>
>>>  My family wants to give me a digital camera for Christmas, but I know
>>>  nothing about them.
>>>
>>>  I need your comments and opinions on what a good camera have/not have.
>>>  Thanks.
>>>
>>>  jane
>>
>>  Jane,
>>
>>  I would look into a simple megapixel Kodak like the DC240 off of ebay for
>>  the following reasons...
>>
>>  It will be pretty inexpensive and allow you to get started and learn what
>>  features are important to you and what is not.
>>
>>  A megapixel camera can still shoot great 4x6 prints and the images can be
>>  sent as attachments pretty easily, even to your friends who don't have High
>>  Speed internet service.
>>
>>  A 5 megapixel camera is great, but if you only shoot snapshots, it's
>>  overkill.
>>
>>  When you finally learn more about digital photography and decide to upgrade,
>>  you won't mind letting the kids use the camera that you learned on.
>>
>>  I also have one more suggestion.  The Kodak's use Compact Flash cards, so do
>>  the Nikons which is what I hope to eventually upgrade to...  Sony uses their
>>  own memory sticks.  My dad has an Olympus, which uses the smart media cards.
>>  I don't like the smart media cards because the contacts are exposed.  They
>>  are smaller but...  So the suggestion is just to be aware of the memory
>>  format requirements.  You may want to invest in digital film that you can
>>  use with more than one camera.
>>
>>  I have 2 sets of rechargeable batteries and have never been left needing
>>  more power to shoot pictures.  I also have flash card reader connected to my
>>  Mac.  Don't bother connecting the camera directly to the computer.
>>
>>  Let us know how you make out!

>>  To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to
>>  <HomeMac-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>>  Need help from a real person? Try.
>>  <HomeMac-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>>
>>  ----------
>>  Now shipping! Farallon Wireless SkyLINE PCI Card for Mac Desktops!
>>  http://www.farallon.com/le/skyline/pci/index.html
>>
>>  $14.99 Unlimited Nationwide Mac Dialup and Mac Web Hosting from your Mac ISP
>>  Serious Mac Internet Solutions From NineWire!   http://macinternetaccess.com
>>
>>  Monsoon  | Flat panel speakers that deliver crisp, accurate sound!
>>  Dr. Bott |   <http://www.drbott.com/prod/speakers.html>
>>
>>  Cyberian   | Support this list when you buy at Outpost.com!
> [...]

For Technical Writing, Marketing Writing, and FileMaker Pro database
development, call Tom Burton at 818-785-3044   or visit
http://home.earthlink.net/~tomb