[HM] Re: Digital camera...

Greg McNeil gmcneil99 at mchsi.com
Sat Nov 30 04:30:16 PST 2002

Jane,
With optical zoom the magnification is changed by moving the glass elements
inside the lens just like in your standard 35mm camera. The digital zoom
"electronically" magnifies the image and looks terrible when doing so. The
specification for the optical zoom, 3X, 5X, etc. means that the telephoto
maximum is X times the wide angle minimum. For example, if the wide angle
minimum is 35mm and the zoom is a 5X then the telephoto maximum would be
5X35 or 175mm.

Greg