[HM] A modem question

Duane Murphy duanemurphy at mac.com
Sat Apr 19 10:45:13 PDT 2003

--- At Sat, 19 Apr 2003 12:35:08 -0400, Debbi Young wrote:

>For the past couple weeks my modem has been randomly connecting, with no
>prompting from me. This is annoying, and I'd like to be able to make it stop
>without disabling the modem completely. I can't think of anything that
>happened to make it start doing this. I'm on a PowerPC G3 (iMac) running OS
>9.2.2. I updated the modem software after this started happening, but that
>upgrade hasn't affected performance one way or another. Thanks for your
>thoughts.

This is a tough one to track down. There are several extensions that
misbehave this way. One way to stop them from dialing is to turn off
connect automatically in the Remote Access options dialog. This makes it
a bit more inconvenient for you when you do want to connect. Then you
have to use the control panel or better, the control strip to connect.

The usual suspect in this case is the Date & Time control panel. There is
a setting to automatically set you clock to a servers time. This will
cause random connections to the Internet to check the server, usually
once or twice a day.

There could be other extensions that do this as well, but I dont know of
any others specifically.

 ...Duane