DiskWarrior for OS X

Nevin Steindam thenevin at ameritech.net
Wed Aug 13 17:25:36 PDT 2003

My external firewire drive stopped working recently -- my Classic machine
(well, OS 8.6) just crashes when I try to mount the drive there, even if
DiskWarrior is running, so that's no help.  On OS X, nothing (visible)
crashes, but the disk just keeps clicking as (apparently) the computer
tries to access it and can't make any sense of the information.  (The
console log tells me that "some fsck failed!"  Not very helpful.)  If
anyone's curious, the drive sounds normal if I power it on when it's not
connected to anything (there's no clicking until someone tries to access
it, apparently).  I'm fairly confident that this is a disk corruption issue
rather than a physical hardware failure.  (It just "feels" like it, plus it
first happened when I updated my OS and rebooted -- an easy time for the
directory structure to be damaged, but I don't think that anything is
likely to go wrong physically at that time).

Oh yes, and I get an error message saying that the disk was unreadable
AFTER I give up and power it down.  But as long as I leave it on, the
machine just clicks away, with a failing fsck process running in the
background.

Though I'd appreciate any other suggestions that people have for me, my
main thought is that I need DiskWarrior.  List regulars will remember that
I'm a big proponent of that program.  Like I said above, though, it doesn't
help when my 8.6 machine crashes.  I've never used the OS X version.  Can
anyone tell me about it?  Is it as good as the old version?  Is it likely
to catch the unmounted drive when "some fsck fails"?  (DiskUtility never
notices those drives, so it can't even try to do anything.)

Thanks in advance,
Nevin