ATAPI on a 7600?

Jack Honeycutt jhoneycutt at qwest.net
Tue Aug 26 09:38:40 PDT 2003

Hello...

I am looking for some internal DVD burner advice.

Now that I am moving my 'ol 7600 into the future with a G4 card and Jaguar,
I am thinking of swapping out the internal CD ROM drive for a internal DVD
burner.

I have yet to add a Firewire/USB card to my 7600, but I see that they are
available (I saw one on Sonnet's web site that was a combo USB/Firewire
card that would only use up one PCI slot; nice!)

What I would like to do, is buy a *internal* DVD burner and swap it out
with the internal CD ROM drive in the 7600.

Most of the DVD drives I see for sale are external.  And I know I could buy
a USB/firewire card and use a external drive.  But I would like to swap up
out my internal CD ROM drive for a *internal DVD burner if I can.

Some internal DVD burners say "ATAPI" instead of Firewire or USB on
them.  Is this the type of internal DVD burner I am looking for?

If not, which type of interface am I looking for?

If all else fails, I will buy a Firewire/USB card and go external, but I
could sure use the desk space and really want an internal DVD burner if at
all possible.

If I am forced to ad a USB/Firewire card to my 7600, do they sometimes have
a internal firewire/USB connector on the card, so I could install a
internal firewire and/or USB DVD burner?  Perhaps this is the way to go
rather than use the connector currently used for the internal CD ROM drive
in my 7600?

Advice appreciated.

Jack
Portland Oregon