networking & Panther

Jack Honeycutt jhoneycutt at qwest.net
Mon Dec 15 13:07:53 PST 2003

I just bought my first modern mac in many years.  It is a G4 with Panther
on it.  I have a networking question:

I have DSL here at the house.  I have a external DSL modem that is plugged
into a 8 port Linksys hub/router/firewall.  My other Macs and a PC running
XP Pro are on the network.

When I plugged the Panther box it, it configured it self and surfing and
email work just great on it.

Here is my issue:

I have a *HUGE* Quicktime file on my XP Pro box and I would like to go on
the network, and bring that file into my Panther box.  I do not, and have
no reason to, move stuff from my Macs to the XP Pro box.

I checked the "help" in Panther under networking and any other words that I
thought would help, but I could not find any answers.

Could someone tell me how I can "see" my XP Pro box from my Panther box,
and how I can then bring the file from the XP Pro box into my Panther box?

I am assuming that I need to turn file sharing (and maybe print sharing?)
on in the XP box.  I can probably figure out how to do that.

That is about as far as I have gotten.

Any help, or URL links to figure this out would be appreciated.

jack

PS:  Love Panther so far.  But sure different than 9.22!