Panther/G4 and music files

Jack Honeycutt jhoneycutt at qwest.net
Thu Dec 18 21:23:48 PST 2003

I am probably the last person in the world that does not have, or has made
a MP3 music file.

I usually put a CD in my stereo and listen to that. Well, all that has to
change.

I have some old 8 mm movie film that I am burning to a DVD for my
family.  I can figure that out.  I would like to put some music on the DVD
in the background.

I have some nice piano music that a buddy of mine played and I recorded on
a cassette deck.

I just bought a new G4 tower (the one with the shiny chrome doors on
it).  My old Mac computer speakers had RCA jacks that would not plug into
the tiny plug in the G4.  The G4 book was no help.  I thought it would tell
me which kind of plug, plus the impedance of the input so I could plug my
stereo into it.

Does anyone know what kind of patch cable I need to go from say, a standard
RCA type jacks (right & left channel audio) from a stereo to the small plug
in my back of my new G4?  Will I get a impedance mismatch, or is all i need
is a adaptor cable?

I take it that Panther has some built in software to record music that i
feed into it?  Or do I need to go out and buy some more software?

I need to figure a way to get audio files into the machine, so I can lay
down some audio in iMovie.

The speaker built into the G4 does a good job of reproducing sound, so I
don't no have a set of Mac speakers.  Does anyone know of lower cost
speakers that would work (kind of on a budget). The Mac brand are nice, but
sure cost a lot.

Any advice appreciated.  Maybe URL that would get me up to speed?

Thanks

jack in Portland Oregon
Happy Holidays to all