[HM] Re: deleting files

Richard Clark mawgadog at tin.it
Thu Feb 27 03:48:01 PST 2003

On Giovedì, feb 27, 2003, at 00:37 Europe/Rome, T. Brown / groucho
wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 03:09  PM, Richard Clark wrote:
>>
>> Almost forgot i'm still waiting on the beach ball hasn't really done
>> anything yet just 100 percent cpu usage and very little disk activity
>> the finder always does this to me when i do things with big files
>> guess i'll just wait it out..... I figure it must be doing something
>> to be using 100 percent of cpu right??????? wow finally a window came
>> up preparing to move to trash but it's beachballing too:)))))
>>

> Try quitting all applications.
>
> If it beach balls too long ( hour ) force quit the finder and restart.
> Choose a smaller amount of files to delete, and take it in a few
> chunks. Make sure to empty the trash 1st.

left it beachballing all night woke up in the morning comp was asleep
woke it up and it was still spinning, i did a relaunch of the finder
and did a search again and 5 files out of 7563 came out so it meant
that they did get deleted, just can't understand why OSX always gives
me this ball that won't go away whenever i need to transfer big files.
> Do you have partitions ?
1 partition 120gb
> How much ram and disk space do you have left ?
Ram 1.2 gb while deleting 800 or so free disk space about 80gb
> Do you have an external drive ?
have an external usb optical but not hard drive