[HM] Re: decision time for portable mac

Duane Murphy duanemurphy at mac.com
Wed Jun 4 07:45:44 PDT 2003

--- At Wed, 4 Jun 2003 07:50:03 -0500, Denise wrote:

>Is it possible to buy a Superdrive at a later time, and install it in place
>of the Combo?

Apple will not sell the Superdrive seperately. It is not available as an
upgrade part. I have tried to purchase one and they wont sell. It's
because it is a DVD recorder. There are licensing restrictions associated
with DVD recorders for Apple.

>I do have a certain dollar figure I am trying to stay near, and I think I
>would prefer the larger display on the iBookw/combo drive as opposed to the
>smaller display/Superdrive of the PB for about the same $.  I know the PB is
>faster, etc. but even my old blue iBook seems to be adequate for me most of
>the time.  It is just getting older, and has a horribly small capacity,
>which is reaching its limit.

There are lots of personal reasons for upgrading your computer. You
should however know that your iBook is upgradable. The hard drive can be
changed although, it's not a job for the faint of heart (I did break an
important part on my first try. The second try was completely successful.)

>How to buy:  I am about 2 hours away from the Apple Store in Bloomington,
>MN.  Is it better to go there and get my new computer, or just as good to
>order through the online Apple Store.  Any perks to picking it up at the
>store?  (I don't "do" metro driving, or I would drive myself there now, and
>ask all these questions.)

The primary benefit to going to the Apple Store, is potential immediate
satisfaction. They may or may not have your computer in stock. If they do
not, then they just order it through the web site anyhow. Prices are
always the same.

 ...Duane