Macs and PCs talking to an HP

James Baumann james_a_baumann at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 10 08:59:38 PDT 2003

Hopefully someone can help me with this one.

At work I am the only Mac person (because I work with dummies).  I'm using
an old G3, still on v. 9.2.

Myself and another person working off a Windows machine both have to print
to an HP 8550 color printer through the network.  I have been told that
because the printer has to be set a certain way for Apple Talk to
communicate with the printer, it makes printing difficult for the Windows
person (serves them right, I say).

Anyway, they are threatening to take my Mac away.

If I was to convince them to upgrade me to OSX and a new computer, would
that help solve this network/printing problem?  I believe I read that the
UNIX back would make networking better for Macs, but I wasn't positive if it
would in this way.

Any help would be appreciated.

james