[HM] Re: Extra files & docs

Charles Turner turnercl at missouri.edu
Sat Mar 1 11:47:17 PST 2003

On Saturday, March 1, 2003, at 07:08  AM, Home Macintosh Users List
wrote:

> From: "Duane Murphy" <duanemurphy at mac.com>
> Subject: [HM] Re: Extra files & docs
> Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 18:27:34 -0800
>
> --- At Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:13:46 -0500, Nancy J. Ayers wrote:
>
>> Having just upgraded my Wallstreet to OS X, I'm puzzled by all the
>> occurrences of docs, in and out of folders, called "FINDER.DAT,"
>> "Icon," and "RESOURCE.FRK."

Is that "Wallstreet" machine old enough that its HD was formatted HFS
(Mac OS standard) but not the newer HFS+ (Mac OS extended). When did
HFS+ first come out? Was is OS8.5?

> Can you expand on this information? Where are you seeing these files?
> Quite honestly, you _should_not_ be seeing any of these files.

I encountered a similar thing (the same thing?) when sharing an MS-DOS
format Zip disk with my Linux PC at the office. On that disk the Linux
system would show RESOURCE.FRK, etc. which are not shown by the Mac OS9
Finder. Later when I installed Jaguar on my Mac, I started seeing the
same things when working with a MS-DOS formatted Zip disk, presumably
due to the unix heritage of OS-X.

As an experiment I took an MS-DOS formatted Zip disk, put some files on
it while running OSX, then rebooted into OS9, looked at the Zip disk
and put some files on it from that boot-up. Now one set of unexpected
files are seen under an OSX boot-up, and a different set of unexpected
files are seen under an OS9 boot-up.

For example for some files and folders that I had created on the Zip
disk while running under Jaguar, when running under the OS9 boot-up are
seen as pairs of files:

Vemmy1.PSD and ._Vemmy1.PSD, etc.

I have no idea what the files are that the OS9 Finder shows that start
with ._

Maybe this is the way OSX saves file attributes when the file resides
on a non HFS (ie. non native Mac formatted) media. Under OS9 I also saw
.Trashes and .DS_Store on the Zip disk.

My spin on this situation is that (1) it is an artifact of using PC
formatted media on the Mac, (2) our ordinary files are seen with our
ordinary file names (not starting with a 'dot'), and (3) this is
nothing to worry about except for the inconvenience of sorting through
the clutter of the extraneous file names.

I'm reformatting my MS-DOS format Zip disks to Mac format as I
encounter them. I'll save a few in MS-DOS format for the rare occasion
that I share files that way with a non-Mac system. However, I'm
disappointed that Jaguar doesn't handle this situation more gracefully.
So far searching the Apple knowledge base and also using Google I
haven't found any thorough discussion of this, which is surprising.

-ct