[HM] new iMac hard drive

Duane Murphy duanemurphy at mac.com
Wed Mar 12 17:04:40 PST 2003

--- At Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:00:43 -0600, Francine Mack wrote:

>I have a 333 mhz iMac with a 6 GB hard drive that I would like to
>replace before I upgrade to OS X. I'm not sure which drive would be
>best. I have tried to search for information but am confused. I would
>like recommendations on the best way to choose and install the new
>drive. I'll probably need to pay someone to replace the drive.  I
>plan to use this iMac for word processing and the internet. I don't
>plan to use any processor intensive apps so 10 GB or 20 GB should be
>sufficient. Comments would be appreciated.

Is there some reason you are aiming low for the GB's? A 100 GB drive is
about $100 dollars. A 40GB drive is about $60 dollars. A 10 or 20 GB
drive (if you can find one) still runs about $50 or $60 dollars.

I use CompGeeks.com for some drives. I have even purchased drives off of
eBay without a problem. Some people will say not to use certain
manufacturers. I have used most of them and havent had any specific
problems. Your mileage may very. (It's like our printer discussion;
different people have wildly different experiences.)

Changing the hard drive in an iMac is pretty straightforward. My mother
changed the memory in her's and said the drive was right there to be
changed as well (if I recall).

 ...Duane