[HM] changing iMac hard drive

T. Brown / groucho btgroucho at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 13 07:19:13 PST 2003

On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 06:57  AM, Francine Mack wrote:

>> I think that some iMacs are easier to take apart than others.  I
>> probably don't have the tools to remove some of the screws but maybe
>> I could find them somewhere.

I had a 333 iMac. All you will need is a medium phillips screwdriver.
The hardest part is getting the bottom cover to fit right.  Take notes
or a digital photos of the cabling as you take it apart so it makes
sense as you put it back together. Make sure you set the drive to
master. If you will be using OS X, partition the drive so as to leave
the 1st 8 gigs to install X on to.

I'm with Duane, buy a larger HD than 20 gigs. I bought an 80 gig
Western Digital drive this week for under $80. You will get more
storage space, as well as speed because you won't have fragmentation. I
would get a 7200 RPM drive instead of the 5400 RPM that came with your
iMac. Western Digital has a Special Edition drive with an 8 meg cache,
really is a quick drive. I highly recommend those, and I hated WD for
some many years.

Hope this helps a bit,
groucho