changing iMac hard drive

hawkgx at planetkc.com hawkgx at planetkc.com
Fri Mar 14 12:10:34 PST 2003

Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 07:19:13 -0800
Subject: [HM] Re: changing iMac hard drive
From: T. Brown / groucho <btgroucho at earthlink.net>

I'm with Duane, buy a larger HD than 20 gigs. I bought an 80 gig
Western Digital drive this week for under $80. You will get more
storage space, as well as speed because you won't have fragmentation. I
would get a 7200 RPM drive instead of the 5400 RPM that came with your
iMac. Western Digital has a Special Edition drive with an 8 meg cache,
really is a quick drive. I highly recommend those, and I hated WD for
some many years.

Hope this helps a bit,
groucho

Groucho,
Where did you get your WD drive for that price range?  I'm looking to swap
out a hard drive inside my slot-loading iMac DV SE (500mhz) and want to
find a reliable, 80GB, 7200 drive for the best price I can find.  So far,
the lowest I've seen today is for $85 after rebate (it was either a Maxtor
or WD... can't remember which).  If you could post an answer or email
off-list, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
Hawk