[HM] New Mac's able to boot in OS 9?

Duane Murphy duanemurphy at mac.com
Tue Mar 18 08:36:13 PST 2003

--- At Tue, 18 Mar 2003 06:44:13 -0600, Ralph Tym wrote:

>Here's the quandary I'm in.  I want/need to purchase a new Mac, be it iMac,
>eMac or tower, but it MUST be able to boot up in OS 9, first and foremost,
>and OS X as well.  Are any of the new Mac's capable of doing this anymore?
>I'm given to believe that all of them cannot do so simply because the
>Hardware is designed for OS X only and will no longer function in OS 9,
>regardless of the software.  True or not?

As other's have pointed out, there are lists on the web that show which
models will and will not boot OS 9.

I wanted to make something clear about the statement:

>I'm given to believe that all of them cannot do so simply because the
>Hardware is designed for OS X only and will no longer function in OS 9,
>regardless of the software.

The hardware is _not_ designed for OS X. The hardware has been updated to
newer technology. In order for OS 9 to work drivers and additional effort
would have to be made to make OS 9 work with the new hardware. OS 9 is
dead. Apple will not be writing any more software for it. So the hardware
isnt designed for OS X, it's just new hardware and there is no support
for this hardware in OS 9.

Just being picky.

 :-)

 ...Duane