screen goes dark and never comes back

Chris Beamis beamis at drizzle.com
Sun Mar 30 18:08:35 PST 2003

I'm going to post this to multiple Mac lists so apologies in advance to
those of us
signed up to more than one of them.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.  I've got a dual
866MHz G4
purchased in early Noremember 2002, running OS X 10.2.4.  For quite a
while
now, maybe even since I purchased it, about every 3rd or 4th time the
screensaver
software kicks in I can't get the monitor to display afterwords.  This
happens
both when only the screen saver only is activated, and when the whole
machine
goes to sleep.  I come back to the machine, and touch some keyboard
keys and
wiggle the mouse but the monitor remains dark.  Pressing and holding the
power button is the only cure.

   It has been fairly annoying so far but I'm now getting a lot more
annoyed because
it seems to happen more frequently.  It just now did it to me in the
middle of a
long compile, so I had to let the machine sit for a while in the hopes
that the
compile was still going.  I eventually pressed the power button, and
upon getting
back in discovered that the compile had not finished, not that I could
tell
before rebooting.

Any ideas whats wrong?

Thanks,