[HM] Re: teegate@comcast.net

Jane Sprando janesprando at msn.com
Sat May 3 18:13:20 PDT 2003

on 5/3/03 5:09 PM, Paul N. Reid at pnreid at cox.net wrote:

> On 05/02/2003 23:59, "Jane Sprando" <janesprando at msn.com> wrote:
>
>> <<<> I personally like the idea that I can boot up in both.
>>

>> YES!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Guy, I think that is what is driving me to buy the iMac with dual systems.
>> The option IS there if I want 9 or OS X. If I decide later on that I don't
>> want 9, then I can get rid of it.
>>

> Hey Jane... I'll keep it short this time. Promise!
>
> I am guessing that either you did not find my posting very helpful or found
> it too long-winded to even bother with.  In either case, I am sorry - I was
> trying to be as thorough as I would when advising a professional client.
>
> But I hope you will let me restate one point worth considering... Your
> current G3 tower will run both 9 and X, and it should be comparatively
> cheaper to purchase a copy of OS X (I have seen it as low as the $70.00
> range) and hardware upgrades (if any) that you might want to boost the CPU's
> performance (and add an inexpensive CD-RW) than outlaying the cash for a
> completely new machine.  If you *do* decide later to ditch OS 9, then you
> will have spent less money on the conversion process from 9 to X, and likely
> have saved enough in the interim to by a better model CPU, most likely one
> preloaded with a more advanced OS X (such as 'Panther') at no additional
> cost.
>
> Just another perspective to chew on, and I hope you find it helpful.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> ShrinkMan
> Paul N. Reid, M.S.
> AASP Certified Systems Technician
> Point of No Return Productions
> pnreid at cox.net

Paul, you weren't too long winded and I read your whole post several times,
as a matter of fact.  Later, I read everyone's post on this subject again
and again, just to be sure that I didn't miss anything. (My mother is always
telling me that I ask for advice, but then don't take it! I tell her that I
am an independent thinker with good listening skills! <G>)

I don't want to keep my G3 tower, even though it is upgradeable.   I have
had it for 7 years and I want a new Mac with a flat screen. I know that it
won't bring me a lot of bucks in resale, but that's OK.

jane