[HM] Re: need imac advice ASAP!

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Mon May 5 07:27:35 PDT 2003

On Sunday, May 4, 2003, at 01:15  PM, Jane Sprando wrote:

> 1. Should I partition the hard drive into separate for 9 and 10? If I
> do,
> should they be equal in size?

I wouldn't, unless you have a specific need for it, for two reasons.
First is just a matter of keeping it simple. The second is that unless
you really know why you want to partition, and what will go on each
partition, there's no way to know how big you should make them. You
can't go back and change your mind without wiping the entire drive and
starting over.

> 2. I booted up into 9.2 last night and installed some games. To me, it
> took
> longer for the Mac to recognize the CD than it does on my G3. (800Mhz
> vs.
> 266).

Its always seemed to me that the faster the drive is, the longer it
takes for the CD/DVD to show up. I'm guessing that's because it takes
longer for the drive to spin up to the faster speed and stabilize.

>  Also, when I ejected the CDs, they were very warm to the touch. Is
> that normal for the iMac?

That's normal. The iMacs are pretty compact, so everything warms up,
even if not in use. In a minitower, there's more space between the
heat-generating parts and the drive. Plus there's usually better
cooling since they're made for more stuff to be packed in.

> 3. Energy Saver ---- I remember that we have had some discussions
> about it.
> What should I set it to?

Personally, I'd leave it as-is unless you run into trouble. If you do
have trouble with your system not waking, then turn it off.

> 4. The clock in 10.2 ---- how do I get it to show up in color?  I
> don't see
> any options for that.

i didn't know you could do that!