[HM] printers: photo or resolution?

mvance mvance at mjvance.com
Mon May 5 08:39:27 PDT 2003

>Now that the iMac dilemma has been solved, the search is on for a printer. I
>have been looking at the Epsons. The price isn't really a factor, I just
>included it for reference.  I am torn between buying a printer with the best
>resolution or going for all the photo bells and whistles. (And I know Duane
>is going to ask me what I want to do with the printer! LOL) I probably will
>print some photos, but basically print what just a normal home user would.
>
>The C82 has a resolution of 5760 x 1440 dpi, prints borderless photos on 4x6
>glossy photo paper; black ink is water resistant; about $130-140.
>
>The 825 has a resolution of 5760 x 720 dpi, 6 color photo inks, roll paper
>support for 4x6 photos, has built in card reader adaptor; prints with or
>without a computer; BorderFree printing up to 8 x 10 photo lab quality
>photos; about $180.
>
>The 925 has all that the 825 has, but also includes the ability to crop,
>resize, store; includes the 4 x 6 roll paper and cuts automatically; about
>$250.
>
>I have not researched any of the HPs or Canon printers. But I am open to
>them. If any of you have comments or suggestions about these, please bring
>them on.
>
>Jane

I love my Epson printers.  My old 1520 is the most versatile printer
I have ever had and I love it.  I have used many HP printers and have
given them away or packed them away.  I print lots of photos and the
color that I get from the Epson is the color I see on my monitor.  I
could never get the color quite what I wanted on any of the HPs I
had.  It also prints text well and fairly fast and I can do both
sides.  I don't know what a newer model number would be that is
comparable to my old 1520.  I bought it close to 6 years ago.  Other
than running cleaning sheets through it occasionally and dusting it
off, I have had no problems with it.

There are a number of selections for printing - from 360 dpi up - I
cannot check easily at the moment as it is connected to my older
machines.

I bought a 2500 when I had to switch to USB connections with my newer
machines but I use my old PowerTower 210 with my 1520 for printing
most of the time.  It too is a good machine but does not have the
versatility of paper size that the 1520 has.

Just my experience........

mj