[HM] Can't read Mac CD On windoz computer

Pete Wilson piatro at netlinkcom.com
Fri May 30 06:43:11 PDT 2003

>I burned a CD with pictures taken from my digital camera and gave the CD to
>my kids. They could not view the photos ---- nothing showed up on their
>computers except empty folders.
>
>What I did:
>
>Uploaded the images to my Mac, then used PhotoShop to crop and size the
>pictures. I saved them as jpegs. Then I dragged them all to a zip disk, and
>dragged the pictures from the zip on to a blank CD. I burned the CD (my
>first one on the new iMac ---- heh, heh,  actually my second one,  after I
>discovered that you have to put the info on the CD BEFORE you burn it!)
>
>Did I miss something here, or will their Windoz machines not be able to read
>the CDs that I burn on my iMac?
>
>jane

There are two common problems that you should look at.  The first is the
format of the CD that you are burning.  Others have started to address that
issue, so I will move on to the second issue.

-- File name extensions --

Windows is dependent on the three letter extension at the end of the file
name to identify the kind of file.  A Jpeg image MUST have ".jpg" at the
end of the name.  If it doesn't most graphics programs will not even list
it in their "Open Files" dialogue box.

The best way to see if this is the problem is to have the kids view the
disk in detail mode (using Windows Explorer or clicking on "My Computer").
If the files are labled as documents they will need to copy them to a disk
or hard drive and change the name to add ".jpg" to the end.

Pete