Dual PMac boot problem

Jack Honeycutt jhoneycutt at qwest.net
Sat Nov 8 10:21:26 PST 2003

At 09:34 AM 11/8/2003, you wrote:
>Jack,
>
>I cannot get the CD tray to come out.  I have found the hole in the front
>to insert the paper clip into, but it does not pop out.  On all the other
>Macs that I have owned, it was very easy to do this.  But when I push in
>the paper clip, it just comes to a stop.  It feels like I am pressing up
>against a wall or something.
>
>On the key board there is a key to eject the CD, but it never boots far
>enough to use that key.  Are there any other key commands that force open
>the CD tray?
>
>-Thom

I don't know if this will work on OSX or not but....

You could hold down CMD-OPR-P-R keys on boot.  Wait for two chimes, than
see if the Mac will boot.

If not, shut it down, boot, and then see if the tray will eject.

If that will not wok, maybe try holding down the C key on boot  to see if
it will eject the tray (but try the CMD-OPT-P-R key combo first)

I remember working on my neighbors iMac.  The Mac would not boot, and a CD
was stuck in the drive.  I opened up the door of the CD tray (with the Mac
off) and found a small wheel (like the gear of a clock).  Using a small
screw driver blade, I kept turning the small wheel, and finally the door
opened a little, and then I pulled it out.  Then I dropped in a bootable
CD, then rebooted holding down the "C" key. All was well after that.

*note*  Don't break your new computer doing something stupid  (like
sticking a screw driver in the CD drive).  I did it because he had no
money, and nothing to loose.  When I manually turned the wheel (you might
need a flashlight to see it), the tray came out a little, then I pulled the
CD tray out all the way.

While his Mac is working great to this day, I don't know if this is the
proper thing to do.  So think twice before doing something that may damage
you Mac. I don't want to talk you into something that might break you Mac.

Other folks on this list know *way more* than I do about Macs, and can
probably give you a better idea.

Keep us posted!!

jack in Portland Oregon