[HM] Re: X and networking question

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Mon Oct 13 17:18:21 PDT 2003

On Monday, Oct 13, 2003, at 11:51 Canada/Eastern, Barry Lyden wrote:

> I move my laptops between my office and home, and from office to
> office, so the address needs to remain dynamic.

Indeed.

Yet, here are two points. (1) The laptop's address has to stay dynamic,
but not the desktop machine's addresses. You'd still use the OS X
discovery method to access the laptop from the desktop, but you could
avoid delays when accessing the desktop machines from the laptop. (2)
You could assign IP numbers to the nodes on your home network in the
same range and with the same subnet mask as your office network (since
you have a router, and therefore your home LAN IPs are not broadcast on
the Internet). Then your laptop IP could be static. But, of course,
neither may be applicable to your specific circumstances.