[HM] speaker problems

Nevin Steindam thenevin at ameritech.net
Fri Sep 19 05:09:24 PDT 2003

>  This isn't a trick to get me to buy Apple speakers is it?  Or is it just
>simply my speakers are on their way out?

I'd guess your speakers are on your way out.  The audio out plug is pretty
simple, and I've never heard of anyone adding anything sophisticated to a
port like that to allow it to recognize different types of hardware.

Do you have anything else you can test the speakers on?  Another computer,
or a friend's computer?  Or even a portable radio/cd player will probably
support your speakers.

What you're saying, and the fact that the problem comes and goes, makes it
sound like a loose connection somewhere.  There's a good chance that it's
in the wire somewhere.  See if you can affect the problem by moving the
wire around and twiddling the part that plugs into the computer.  You may
be able to find a position that squeezes a bit more life out of it.

Nevin