delete spyware, firewall

Charles Turner turnercl at missouri.edu
Thu Feb 5 07:14:07 PST 2004

On Feb 5, 2004, at 7:17 AM, Home Macintosh Users List wrote:

> Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:24:26 -0800
> Subject: [HM] Re: delete spyware
> From: Jane Sprando <janesprando at comcast.net>
>
> Duane, i did miss your response! MSN keeps losing my messages. I am
> glad
> that i have switched ISPs!

This is also a repeat from an earlier message: one of the functions in
Aladdin's 'Internet Cleanup' product is "SpyAlert."

<http://www.aladdinsys.com/mac/cleanup/index.html>

You mentioned having a cable Internet connection and worrying what
dangers that might bring. I use a little Linksys EtherFast cable/DSL
router which sits between my cable modem and my computers. This box
does two things for me, it lets multiple computers (Macs in my case)
share the cable modem connection, and it is a firewall to block any
probing from unknown sources coming in from the internet.

Recently somewhere I read discouraging comments about Linksys's support
for Mac users (although I haven't had any problems and haven't needed
any support). The D-Link DI-604 which costs around $50 from places like
Office Depot might be worth a look.

-ct