running OS 9

enterprise pennamacoor at enterprise.net
Sat Jan 31 05:59:48 PST 2004

hi folks, wondered if anyone can help here:

I've just purchased a nearly-new iMac G4/800Mhz; in most ways identical to
the other iMac I have access to, G4/700MHz, but differing in the version of
OS X it has on board; the 800MHz one sports OS X 10.2.7  and the 700MHz
sports OS X 10.1.2.

The point is that I needed a Mac that can boot in OS 9.2; the 700MHz one is
fine with that, but even though I've able to install OS 9.2 onto the 800MHz
hard drive, when I come to <Change Startup Disk>, it does not list it (only
the 10.2.7 Folder), thus I cannot boot up in OS 9 (I have tried shutdown and
restart etc).

Am I doing something wrong?

Is it possible that the later version of OS X (10.2.7) somehow _disables_
the use of OS 9 for booting? If so, can I just re-install the previous
version of OS X (10.1.2) and make everything OK (OS 9-wise)?

regards

michaelP