firewire in lieu of startup cd?

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sat Jul 10 11:46:39 PDT 2004

On 07/10/04, Pat Murray <pmurray at bordernet.com.au> wrote:

> I need to start up my ibook to run a diagontic program but haven't got
> a startup cd to do the job. I have gone thru all my osx cds but they
> won't let me work on my laptop. What I thought of doing was linking the
> G3 with a G4 via firewire and starting mine up with the T key. Will
> that allow me to run something like Disk Warrior from the G4?
> Seems like too simple a solution.

If both machines have FireWire sockets, then, yes, hook them together,
start up the iBook in target disk mode (see Finder->Help->Mac Help->"target
disk mode" (TDM), and the iBook should pop up as another disk. You may have
to install Disk Warrior onto the G4 to use it. I don't know if you can boot
the G4 with the DW cd, start up the iBook in TDM, and have the DW program
see the iBook.