[HM] wireless network including Dell

Jim Norman jimoctec at mac.com
Sun Jul 25 19:43:44 PDT 2004

You can get any wireless access point, Netgear, D-link, Airport, so
long as it complies with either 802.11b or 802.11g.  It will cost more
for the 802.11g compliant unit as it is both faster (54mbps) and can
communicate with both b and g NICs. In Apple terms this is Airport
Extreme.

You would connect the satellite link to the wireless access point.  In
most cases the access point will also contain a DHCP server which will
dole out IP addresses for your local network and perform network
address translation (NAT) so that on the Internet your computer will
appear at the IP address provided by your ISP, while at home you will
appear to the Dell as a private IP range address (such as 192.168.0.2).

You can also get a unit with both wired and wireless connections, so
the Dell could remain wired by ethernet cable for its access and your
iBook could use an Airport card.

Depending on the system software both machines are running, and any
third party software (such as Thursby's Dave) you can share files and
even a printer between the dark side and the light.

I am running a home network with an ADSL modem/hum feeding Internet
access into a Netgear MR314 wireless router (the access point).  From
the four ports of the router I feed to two PCs and a G4 Cube.  With the
wireless connection I feed to two iBooks and a Dell laptop (there are
more computers than people in my house;-) ).

The main thing to remember is that Apple are only selling Airport
Extreme cards and APs now, if you are only surfing the net then 802.11b
(11 mbps) such as the old Airport card and base station are fine.

Once you untether the iBook you will not regret it.  The only caveat is
that you should consider security of your wireless network, WEP is a
minimum level of encryption, but you can also set up the system to only
accept certain MAC addresses (Media Access Control). Each network card
has its own unique identifier which can be queried under Airport setup
software or similar PC utilities).

Hope this helps.

Jim