[HomeMac] Programming question

Charles Turner turnercl at missouri.edu
Sun Jun 6 07:17:00 PDT 2004

On May 31, 2004, at 7:15 AM, Home Macintosh Users List wrote:

> Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 12:48:13 -0700
> From: Thom Holland <tholland at san.rr.com>
> Subject: Programming question
>
> Hi all,
>
> I want to start programming for my Mac, but I don't know where to
> start.  Specifically, I want to write something that will track my
> automobile expenses and also to sync between my Mac and my PDA.

If you are running OSX and feel comfortable with the command prompt,
then there are several programming packages already built-in. PERL has
been mentioned. OSX (in 10.3 anyway) also has PHP, Python, and Ruby. In
fact there also are Java and the whole Apple developer's environment if
you want it. Using those, however, is beyond my experience.

My current project is developing a few dynamic www pages using PHP with
MySQL. I'm doing it all under Panther using the Apache web server, etc.
I needed to install MySQL and the PERL interface to MySQL. Both of
those installs went pretty smoothly, much more so than some of the
software installs I've done on other "old line" unix systems.

I used to think that PHP was just for www programming. However, I've
learned that it runs just as well as a shell script and can be used for
ordinary programming and system administration too. As a learning
project I'm rewriting a few thing in PHP that I had originally written
in PERL. So far PHP seems just as pleasant to work with, and as
powerful.

There is plenty of documentation on the www which can easily be found
using Google or the like. I book I recently bought is good too: "PHP
Essentials, 2nd Edition" by Julie Meloni.

-ct