[HM] Can't open picture attachment

Mary C. Youra mcyoura at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 15 08:12:26 PST 2004

Denise--
If you are getting attachments that are 1K in size, they are not
pictures (that's just not large enough). If you able to save the 1K
file to your desktop and do a Get Info (highlight, then cmd-I), what
does it say it is?  If you're not getting an indication of an attached
file (the paper clip), it sounds as though the attachment got stripped.
The question is at what level--by the sender's ISP, yours, or your
Outlook Express. Can you send an attachment to yourself? By any chance
does your ISP have attachments blocked? It's been a long time since
I've used Outlook Express, but I seem to remember that you could set
its Rules to strip attachments--have you checked to see if something's
gone amiss there (Tools>Rules>Mail)?. Does your ISP offer a way to
check your email using the web? If so, check online to see if there are
attachments, and how they are identified. That might help identify
whether the problem is to do with Outlook Express or something to do
with your ISP. I have no idea how Postini works--you say you've checked
the settings, but have you ever gotten an attachment since your ISP has
been using Postini? You might want to check with either your ISP or
Postini Support about their default settings for attachments. (I once
had to ask an ISP to reduce its Spam Sieve settings because it was
blocking legitimate email, so they can be *too* aggressive.)

Another thought--is your ISP blocking attachments from particular
ISP's? With the recent rash of viruses, some ISP's were doing just
that. I have received other notices that ISP's are blocking
attachments, but the recipient receives a 1K notice that there had been
an attachment (typically, this happens when the attachment is suspected
of being a virus).

Lots of questions, but no real answers, sorry. I hope something here
helps you track down the source of the problem.

Mary