2 machines, 2 different problems partial success

John McGibney ensignjd at optonline.net
Mon May 24 08:41:59 PDT 2004

> Subject: 2 machines, 2 different problems
>
> I have 2 problems with OS-X 10.3.3
>
> Machine 1 a G4 tower:
> I can't access the root level on the startup drive. It's owned by System and
> Admin users can read only. All other machines I have running X allow Admin
> users read/write privileges. This means some installers don't work because
> they can't access the root level.

Success! Disk Utility check/repair followed by a permissions check/repair
fixed it. Don't know why it didn't before. Must have been a feature of some
software installed and long since deleted and forgotten.

> Machine 2 G4 PowerBook:
> The windows don't seem to remember the Icon placement nor settings to keep
> arranged by name. The global settings for Icon view are "Keep arranged by
> name" this setting doesn't change. But when the Applications folder and
> Utilities folder are opened they revert to "this window only settings and
> the icons, window size, etc. are all messed up. Window placement is off etc.

Deleting the finder.plist file did the trick for most windows. Only the
Applications folder seems stubborn. Going to trey it again after deleting
the .ds_store file inside apps.

Thanks to all for their help. I posted this on 4 different lists over the
past several days and this is the only list that had any replies!

John