[HM] Upgrading programmes.

Jim Norman jimoctec at mac.com
Tue Nov 30 01:59:28 PST 2004

Hi Rosemary,

On 30/11/2004, at 7:00 PM, Rosemary Titterington wrote:

> Hello Jim-
> Thank you, have had to print out your advice to absorb it thoroughly-
> and decide which action to take first.!  (I am a golden oldie so have
> learned to look before I leap).

Retiree at this end too - ex teacher who has spent too much time since
1982 mucking around with computers of all sorts, but a Mac evangelista
since 1988.

> Have an early G4 with fairly recent new 120 gb hard disc as I do a lot
> of photography., I left  the old 10 gb disc inside as well to use as a
> potential backup disc. It still has 0S X and OS 9 on it. However, have
> never had the courage to wipe all work off it, or systems. I can still
> start up on it.

That should be no problem; if you ever want to start up from the 10 Gb
disk you select it in System Preferences > Startup Disk.

> I have 640 Ram and usually use Apple Centre for installing things and
> fiddling about inside as I am not very brave!

And it's safer that way, I get to repair plenty of computers for folk
who just thought they'd have a fiddle.  I know several people of our
vintage who are still happily using old Macs or old PCs who have never
felt the urge to "fiddle" and who have good reliable word processing,
emailing and web browsing that suits them and avoids filling the
pockets of Mr Gates and Mr Jobs.

> If I install Panther on my new hard disc, will I still be able to
> start up on old disc if necessary?

As you have, most likely, suitable Apple RAM, an upgrade should go
smoothly; but do make sure you back up your settings and documents.  I
keep a (real) folder containing web passwords, my internet settings,
software serial numbers, etc., I recommend the paper backup to all my
clients.

> I use MacJanitor regularly as a small cleaning programme, but
> otherwise don't fiddle about too much. Do you think this programme ok,
> does it really do anything?
>  Have just bought systemworks 3.0 upgrade so think I will have to
> stick with it for a while!!
>
>> As far as removing files goes, Mac OS X has always been elegant, you
>> just drag the app or the folder to the trash and the OS does the
>> necessary clean up in the background - sure beats Windoze uninstaller
>> procedure!
> I agree, having watched the rest of the household struggling with
> their bugs and virus problems -when asked for help - I am baffled by
> microsoft phrase 'My Computer' which seems to send me in circles!
>
>> Carbon Copy Cloner and make a completely working copy of your current
>> system
> Where do I find this programme? After thinking about all this, it is a
> pity I can't also back up my brain before it deteriorates even more.

Go to <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13260> for
information and to download.

Brain backup - isn't that what we try to do when taking on the family
history project?

Jim